Sunday, April 8, 2007

Come Monday...It Will Be All Right

In less than 24 hours from now I will eat my last oversized meal. Well, maybe not. I feel like I have eaten many "last meals" over the course of the last few days. I don't think I've done very well in controlling my portions like I should, either. I *can* say, however, that I am getting tired of food. I don't know that I've ever admitted that before. Nothing really sounds good to me...even ice cream. Now that's a shocking statement! I am *so* ready to begin my new life and new relationship with food and exercise.

Now, let me back up a little bit and fill you in on the pre-op appointment and lab work.

Tuesday was a *very* busy day. Although I only live 35 minutes from the hospital where I will have my laproscopic RNY surgery, it took me more than an hour to get there for my labwork. This hospital has recently completed renovations and added a new wing. They have moved the Labor & Delivery department to the new wing. This has left large private rooms available for recovering gastric bypass patients. After I completed my blood work and other labs I had the chance to tour a room. These rooms are very nice! I am equally excited that I will have a private room and not be subjected to an additional fee from the insurance as private rooms are all that are offered at this particular hospital for gastric surgery.

A word about the staff I encountered at the hospital. Gloria, the preadmission tech was fantastic! She went out of her way to help me feel welcome and comfortable with the procedures for the day. Next, I met George, the vampire. He was very nice and had a great personality. George teased with me as he took the many vials of blood necessary to complete my labs. Next I met with Patty who very gently explained the processes which would occur come Monday. Brenda, the respiratory therapist was the sweetest lady. She was the lightest touch when inserting the needle in to draw blood gasses. I've always heard this was a very painful process (not in this experience). Brenda talked to me the entire time and told me that she had been an RT at the hospital since it opened. My last lab of the day was a chest x-ray. Unfortunately for me, the hospital is changing to a new paperless system and they had difficulty with the equipment. This change caused me to endure 4 or more x-rays in the attempt to have one scan correctly into the computer.

My next stop was later in the afternoon. It was my final visit with Dr. Duperier before my surgery. Because Patty had asked for the labs to be completed quickly, Dr. D had all of the results when I arrived. He said everything looked great except for my anemia. He said my iron was low and he felt I needed an iron infusion. I'm not really sure what that means but I understand that I should feel *much* better after the infusion. I decided to be generous and not throw the surgery scheduler under the bus at this juncture. I'll have time for that later, when I am less emotional about the whole situation I have been through with her. Right now, I just need to worry about me.

As the old Jimmy Buffett song goes, "Come Monday, it'll be all right..." I'm looking forward to Monday and the many changes and challenges I am about to face.

No comments: