Saturday, May 19, 2007

Eating, Measuring and Exercise Physiology

A couple of weeks have passed since my last post. I am finally recovering from the shock of the move and beginning to get into action mode. Big Daddy and his dad left on Thursday to move the truck and the boat up to Hot Springs. Bad news is they only made it as far as Temple, Tx and the truck broke down. Worse news is that the engine will need to be replaced. After an overnight stay, he rented a car and left the truck and boat behind. He'll go back on Wednesday making a round-trip drive to pick up the truck and boat. I know he'll be exhausted. Keep him in your prayers.

So, what's up with me, you ask? Well, it's not the weight! I'm down 42 pounds since my surgery! I saw the surgeon on Thursday for a one month (5 week) follow-up. He said my progress was phenomenal! He also said it looks like I'm on track to lose around 100 pounds by my 6 month anniversary date. Wow! I can't believe it! The weight loss will slow down after the 6 month mark. From what I've heard, I really need to make the most of the early stages and lose as much weight as I can before I hit the 6th month. Also at my appointment on Thursday I asked that the nurse measure me again. I was surprised at the measurements! I have lost SO much! It is amazing. When I look in the mirror the only place that I see the actual loss is in my face. I know I'm losing it, I just haven't gotten the old Christy out of the mirror yet. Not really comfortable revealing the measurements yet. Maybe I'll get some more courage and post them in a few days.

Eating habits are changing around here. I have found that there are different kinds of protein I can eat. I've really been enjoying seafood. For the most part it is easy to eat. I have also found that I need to chew better and eat slower. In the past few weeks I have on more than one occasion eaten too fast or not chewed good enough. Let me tell you, it hurts! Also by eating slower I feel satisfied without over-eating. Additionally, we aren't eating out as much. Not much of the fast foods sound very good, either. One thing I have found that I can get when we eat out is a grilled chicken breast from Chik-Fil-A. Did you know that if you order just the breast of chicken without the bun and stuff that it's only $2.80 vs. the $3.25 price for the sandwich? I kind of like that little "perk." Bad thing is that if you want to purchase a smaller portion (kid's meal) at most restaurants, all they offer are things I don't need to eat: grilled cheese, mac & cheese, pizza, etc. Guess I'll have to stick to grilled chicken and fish in doggie bags...but I'm not complaining!

Yesterday I saw the exercise physiologist. I had the "pleasure" of going through a test to measure my VO2 levels. I think what the test does is determines at what point my body stops burning fat and begins to burn muscle. Primarily it is designed to tell me what my optimal fat burning and fit zones are. I learned that the heart rate level I was working out at was helping me as far as fitness was concerned but not necessarily helping me burn more fat. ~Gonna have to dial it back a bit. She also set up a program to help me go back and forth between the fit and fat burning zones so I get the best of both worlds during my workout. I do have to tell you, as I neared the end of the test I thought I was going to fall off of the treadmill. She had it jacked up in the air and I was walking very fast...not quite a jog...and all I could think of was if I miss a step it's all going to be over and I'll slide down the treadmill embarrassing myself forever! Thankfully, I think the exercise physiologist was thinking the same thing and she slowed me down to end the test.

Other good news is that I did a little shopping last weekend. I've gone down from a size 26/28 pants to a size 20! Yee-Haw! I've also been busy cleaning my closets and chest of drawers out again. I have another large black trash bag full of clothes to give away. I need to take pictures of myself in my original clothes so I can see the change.

I've got a sick kiddo in the house today. Hopefully he'll feel better tomorrow. I'm dying to get out in the sun and enjoy the pool this weekend! Hope y'all are having a great weekend.

No comments: