Monday, March 26, 2007

A Bump in the Road...

Well, insurance paperwork is surely a pain! Although I have been given a date for surgery, I continue to have problems with the doctor's "surgery scheduler" getting the "correct" information from the insurance company. I received a faxed copy of the letter that states I am eligible for surgery. However, they are requiring a letter from the insurance that states I am covered for the surgery at the hospital where the surgery will occur (a preauthorization and a confirmation number). In the past week I have called BC/BS AL PPO no less than 10 times trying to get a copy of this letter for the doctor's office. Additionally, I have also called my patient advocate and the surgery scheduler as many times trying to get to the bottom of this. Today I was told by the insurance company that the letters have been mailed which have all of the requested info in them. I requested, for the third time that the insurance company fax the preauthorization letter for both the surgery and hospital. I checked the office fax machine today before leaving the office and found once again, that there was no fax from the insurance waiting for me. I put on my "Boss Lady" voice and called the insurance company. After explaining the situation to the second person I have talked to with BC/BS AL today, I asked for a supervisor. Remember the post about the squeaky wheel getting the grease? Well, it must have paid off because she "found" a request for all of the documentation and reports it is scheduled to be faxed tomorrow morning. We'll see...

I really just think this is another game to be played between the insurance company and the doctor's office and I'm the pawn. Well, the Boss Lady has had enough! Next stop, Dr. D! Rant over!

Believe it or not, I am looking forward to the surgery! I have been looking for a gown to wear. I'm not sure if I need to wear a new gown in the hospital...but the thought of those ugly hospital gowns is not very appealing! Why can't they make really cool looking gowns with bright colors? Maybe I need to market that idea. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that online!?!? ;o) I have found some really cute pajamas but have heard that it is really better not to plan to wear pj's as they can bind the abdomen following surgery and may not be as functional as they should be. Therefore, I am stuck looking at gowns with flowers on them instead of cute palm trees, monkeys, or something bright and colorful. There's still hope! I've still got a few places to look!

No comments: